Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Day 39 - At Last! The Atlantic!

Departure:  Palatka, FL      Finish:  St. Augustine, FL  

Distance:    34.4 miles

Elevation gain:  659 feet 

Winds: From the North at 3 to 5 mph

Weather:  Scattered Clouds. 51 degrees at departure. 79 degrees at arrival.

On bike duration:   2 hrs, 17 minutes. 

Average speed: 15.0 mph

Total Accumulated Miles:  2,945.7


Thirty nine days on the bicycle; almost 3,000 miles! 

I woke up to a beautiful sunrise over St. John’s River. 

Everyone in the group was eager, yet melancholy, talking about getting back home & can’t believe it’s over. Today’s ride was only 34 miles, much of it on another tree-lined bike path. Tom Peron experienced the LAST flat tire of the trip on that bike path. 


At our very last water break I spotted a large curved-billed bird that Jim Wilz identified as a Wood Stork.



As we rolled into St. Augustine, Valerie was waiting, with Pam (my mother-in-law), Chris and Holly (Valerie’s sister and her husband), and Julie and Dan Miller (dear family friends). We waited for a large sailboat to pass through the draw bridge (The Lions Bridge). Rahul was leading the group. I was close behind. About 1/2 mile from the finish Rahul said “You have family meeting you don’t you? You go in first.” So, I was the first to hear the noise makers and the shouts from the crowd of about 30 family and friends. Valerie came rushing toward me as I got off the bike. It was a very emotional moment for me. Then we took many pictures with our front tires in the surf, and enjoyed a toast of champagne - courtesy of Dennis Hughes and Cycle Of Life Adventures.






I don’t believe I can provide an adequate reflection on this whole trip. In one sense, the total of the entries in this journal stands for itself. On the other hand, the whole experience deserves a good dose of Oscar Awards style profundity.

In my mind I keep reliving the sudden rush of dodging the roadside debris, road kill and potholes. I also see the incredible isolation of far-west Texas, and the quiet beauty of desolate country roads in eastern Texas and Louisiana. 

I was very blessed by the companionship of good-natured, hearty adventurers to make the travel even more enjoyable. When I think back on my early planning for this trip, I am so thankful I saw the advertisement for Cycle Of Life in one of the quarterly issues of “Adventure Cycling” magazine. Now that I have reached the East Coast — accomplished the goal I dreamed of for several years — I can’t imagine attempting the Southern Tier on my own, searching for hotels and restaurants every day, and planning water stops in extremely remote areas. I admire Dennis Hughes’ planning and management skills. This was the 7th time he has hosted this tour. Many times, I recognized it was his experience and leadership that made the journey enjoyable, memorable, and safe.

This accomplishment is a marker and milestone, sure to be retold in my stories for the rest of my life. I am so happy I chose to do this now, this year, in the springtime, on the Southern Tier, on a Trek Domane bicycle that was engineered for just this kind of trip. I’m also thankful for Valerie’s love and support for my crazy dreams. 

People will ask me, “What was your favorite part?” Upon immediate reflection, I’d reply with two things: 1.) the 119 mile route from Sanderson to Del Rio, Texas on my 65th birthday; and 2.) the grand arrival in St. Augustine, Florida. Both of those moments proved - I can do it


4 comments:

  1. Keith, great accomplishment!! Really enjoyed following your journey from coast to coast on your blog. Not nearly as accomplished rider as you, but riding a tour like that always intrigued me.. My only claim to fame is a century ride I completed many years ago with a co-worker. Nearly killed me. I really admire your achievement. Keep ridin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Keith!! So glad I got to have dinner with you and follow your progress. Amazing accomplishment. I wouldn't even want to drive that far in one trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your adventures. You did a great job in writing them up which I know is difficult to do each day. I plan on doing this trip next year and am stongly considering using the same company for my 70th which will occur during the trip at El Capitan. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keith, congratulations!!! That is a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete

Day 39 - At Last! The Atlantic!

Departure:  Palatka, FL      Finish:  St. Augustine, FL   Distance:     34.4  miles Elevation gain:  659 feet  Winds: From the North at 3 to...